Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wow! A lot has happened this week. It's hard to summarize a whole week of craziness into one email, but I’ll try. I've really been enjoying myself so far. Again, I love Madagascar, the people, and the culture. That being said it's not the easiest thing to get used to. I had doughnuts the other day; that was pretty awesome. But what happened this week, well I just finished hand washing my clothes, and scrubbing the bathroom. Our washer is out so that's been fun. I've also had a really good time so far in Tomatov. We're going to the beach today. I'm going to get myself a Malagasy bible.
This week we finally really got in to teaching. I'm not very good yet, because I'm only just starting to be able to understand what people are saying. I find that if I listen to my companion and the investigator I can get about 75 percent of what they're talking about, but if I try and have a conversation I get really confused because there are less contextual clues. As always I apologize if this doesn't make any sense it's hard to write quickly and be coherent. I'm trying to send letters to some people, but it's kind of expensive, so today I took some time to write other people. I have had so many experiences this week, but they're hard to put in to words. This mission, I can honestly say, is very hard, but I have a lot of support, both here and at home. The thing that I keep thinking is how strange this country is (although that's really a poor choice of words, I should say how strange I am). Thankfully I love the work.
I have a great story that I want to share with you about one of our investigators:
We were teaching a family about Jesus Christ and prayer. They were especially poor, even by Madagascar standards. We were teaching on a dirt floor with chickens and children running around everywhere. As we finished up our lesson we asked them if they would pray with us, and pray to know that what we teach is true. Looking slightly embarrassed they admitted that they had never prayed before and didn't know how to. We explained that prayers are very simple. We're simply addressing our Father in Heaven, and that there was nothing to worry about. Still looking nervous we asked if there was anything else we could help with. Again looking a little shy and afraid, the mother said she was worried God would be angry with her for everything she had done wrong, and wouldn't want to talk to her. With power we promised that God loved her. That her sins through repentance could be forgiven, but most importantly that God always wants to hear from us. That his love for us extends even to helping us overcome our mistakes. After her very simple, very heartfelt prayer, she looked up with a huge smile, and said that she felt so much better. She said that it was as if a veil had been lifted off of her eyes. God does live. He loves us and wants us to be with him. He sent his only begotten son, Jesus Christ, to die for us in our sins, so that we can become even like him. I love this gospel, and I'm so excited to see how it helps people. There really is no greater gift in this world that we can give. I'm so thankful for the experiences I've had so far, and the things that I have learned. I can honestly say that I am humbled every day. Whether it's washing my clothes by hand, or teaching people how to pray. I know that God lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment