Friday, May 13, 2016

April 11, 2016

Life is good and I'm happy. For the most part things have been very good. I'll start generally by saying that this week went very fast. That's always the case, but this week it was accelerated by the fact that we had conference. On Saturday and Sunday we watched conference at the mission office in English with all the other missionaries in Tana. It was good to see new faces, and I was surprised by how many people I didn't know. It's weird because I haven't been in a zone for over a year (zone-10-30 missionaries within a close geographical location, have meetings together etc.). I've been a little bit further away. So it was weird, but yes, new people have come into the mission. Conference was really great. I really liked it, and I thought that it had a lot of great things in it. I was especially touched by the talk on refugees, and felt a very strong prompting that I should learn one of the main refugee languages. Now that I have a knack for picking up crazy weird African-ish languages and I'm stupid enough to spend time learning a language that's not really applicable, I felt why not. Actually in all seriousness, I felt strongly impressed that I need to at least try a little bit. Having lived in Madagascar I have learned that 1.) talking to people in a language they don't understand can't help them 2.) your native language is the language of your heart 3.) you can't understand someone truly unless you can speak to them in their native language. That's a little bit off subject, however, because obviously it's still a while before I can render that service, but I wrote it down when I felt the inspiration. Other than that, I felt that two often repeated topics were "do you really believe" and "are you close to Christ". I feel we can all work on these things, especially because they're very personal goals between yourself and God. Also, as it says in the New Testament, knowing God and Jesus Christ is eternal life. Kind of an interesting thought. Since none of us have eternal life yet, then it would be logical to conclude that we should better know our Savior. We can still get closer to him. As far as the area, etc. well I'm still getting used to it. I think I can probably get along pretty well now in it. I know where most of the people we visit live, etc. Elder Yeagley and I are doing well, just working. Right now we're working with someone and their three kids, so please keep them in your prayers.
Other than that I have nothing new. Hope you are all doing well.

Sincerely,
Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment