Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hi Family,

How are you? I'm doing really well, as always. Please pass my love on to everyone!

This week I've been thinking a lot about the true value of the gospel. I want to take a little bit of time to share my thoughts. Recently we've had a few families that we've been working with who have run into some really serious struggles. Struggles, that frankly, it seems we can't do a whole lot for. Sometimes we forget the challenges that people face in Madagascar that they don't face anywhere else (at least certainly not in the U.S.) Although I haven't lost faith in the work, I sometimes feel that what we are doing could be misconstrued as unhelpful. Because of that I want to declare that I cannot believe that the gospel is merely a poor substitute for the things in life that bring people real happiness. That what we're doing is merely a patch when what people really need is things that only money or western living can afford. I simply cannot accept that we're peddling a cheap excuse for happiness to cover up the want that separates people. God loves all of us. That's what I have learned from my mission. I have found that the gospel answers all questions, both big and small. Frankly, living in Madagascar has shown me in so many ways, that the little things we think bring happiness really don't matter. I look around at members of the Church here, who really have nothing, and see a happiness in their eyes. That not only enlivens me, but reminds me why I am here. They know that no matter what occurs in this life, they will live together as a family in the next. They know that while they may not have much, someday they will inherit the glory of God. Not a glory of gold or silver, because to God those things have little more value than tin foil. We are co-heirs with Christ, and as such, destined to such a greater glory. In that context, when I consider what the gospel really means to me, it becomes clear that happiness is not something that can be sough after. It is not a collection of affects that once something has lost value in our eyes, is replaced with another "object". True happiness comes from within and has nothing to do with objects. It's the joy the gospel brings. The knowledge that this life is a time of struggles to prepare us for an infinite glory to come. I'm reminded of one of my favorite scriptures in Romans:

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Father.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

And if children, then heirs: heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

So, that is my spiritual thought, I've just been thinking why I'm on a mission. Not because I don't understand the reason, but because through better understanding I feel I can do much better work. That's my conclusion. When we understand God, the gospel, and Christ - more importantly when we make sacred covenants with God so that we can become an eternal family - then we receive the blessings that no happiness on earth can bring EXCEPT through making those covenants. Because yes! Even on earth we can receive that paradisaical glory!

(Note from Mom: Alex typically sends his emails at about 2:30am Central time. This Thursday will be the first Thanksgiving that I have spent without the company of one of my children. Admittedly, I am missing Alex more than usual. I set my alarm for 2:30 and hopped online with the hope of email chatting with Alex. I was able to catch him online. He only had a few minutes, but it was great to communicate with him. Following are a few things that he mentioned during our chat.)

It's hard not to miss you during the holidays. Don't worry, I'm not missing you too much. The fact that it's like 20,000 degrees right now makes it hard to convince myself that it's almost December. It has rained sooo hard today. It's ridiculous.

We are not doing anything special for Thanksgiving, No, I did not make an apple pie. We're getting ready to set up a tree on Friday.

Lychees are awesome! The best thing is that they're so cheap. This week I bought a whole basket of lychees for the equivalent of two dollars. When I say basket I mean about 10 gallons plus of lychees.It was ridiculous! We had to carry it for like a kilometer and it was heavy, ha ha.
 (I asked a few follow up questions, and then Alex continued) Most of them are picked in peoples backyards. There aren't really lychee farms, mostly just wild lychee trees. (More questions from me, then Alex's reply) Mom! Property isn't really a concept here! (I just wanted to make sure Alex wasn't trespassing or taking food that belonged to people in need!)

Hugs to all, eat extra Thanksgiving dinner for me. Only one more Thanksgiving after this and then I'll be home with y'all again. Ha ha.



No comments:

Post a Comment