Monday, December 1, 2014

(Note from mom: The following email from Alex requires a bit of back story. I learned from the mom of another missionary that a Malagasy pesticide had been used in the home of some other missionaries in Alex's area. The missionaries later learned that it was a nerve agent that has been banned in the US for decades. The missionaries aired out their house and cleaned it thoroughly. I expressed my concern to Alex and urged him to avoid spending time in that home. Additionally, the World Health Organization has again determined that Madagascar has the highest rate of Bubonic plague in the world. It is currently plague season in Madagascar and almost two hundred cases have been recorded this year.)

I'm doing really well. I really miss all of you and I cannot wait to talk to you on Christmas. First let me answer some of your concerns. Don't worry. The other missionaries' house is fine. Sometimes I have to go there on splits so I will be spending the night. However, it was a nerve agent - it can't kill you or mutate cells in your body. Also, the plague isn't really an issue in Tomatov. It's very safe here. The worst thing that has happened is that a drunk guy attacked my companion and me, but we were perfectly safe. So don't worry. Things here are different, but not dangerous. Most of the injuries come from people doing things that would break rules in the US but are considered acceptable here. If you use common sense you will be in almost no danger.

Thank you for the video reference on Mormon.org. I really appreciated it. It's funny to look at the Christmas that it portrays (one that I'm used to), and think about the Christmas I'm experiencing here in Madagascar. The comparison actually draws less on the poverty I'm surrounded by and more by the fact that it's the middle of summer here. It's really funny because it's at Christmas, not Easter, that all the women break out their big huge hats! Also the normal consumer culture doesn't surround Christmas here as much. The other missionaries in my house and I are working very hard to try and foster more of a Christmas atmosphere. Friday we set up a tree and took our Christmas picture around it! With the air conditioning on full blast we quickly put on sweaters and took a picture!

This week has been good. We had zone conference, which was really excellent and  a great experience. It was good to see President Adams again. We talked a lot about the growth of the Church in Madagascar. In many ways the Church here is what the church was like in Mexico in the 60's. It was good to hear, because one of the most difficult parts about working in Madagascar is the feeling that we're not gaining a lot of ground. I feel in a unique position from many other missionaries in that we not only do missionary work, we also help run the Branch and do a lot of the day to day work that helps the Church here.

Also, don't worry about making me homesick. I'll let you know if you do. I'm doing very well and I don't really feel homesick. I like hearing from all of you, and I would rather know what's up than be in the dark. It's not like you're doing anything that I'm not aware of, so I'd rather hear about it and enjoy it in a small way with you.

Right now it's raining soooo hard again And it's so hot. It definitely feels like we're in a jungle. I love it, but I won't be sad when I go to a new area (probably in 3 months). We joke that it's so hot that you sweat when you eat. The only way not to sweat is to stay completely motionless.

That's about all I have for  this week. I can't wait to talk to you on Christmas.

Sincerely,
Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment