Tuesday, March 3, 2015

February 23rd
Too Many Weeks to Count...

This has been a good week. Please tell everyone I love them. Please say hello to my St. A's family. I think about them a lot. Hello to Volney. I appreciate his emails and support. Hello to the Loceys. Love to grandmas and grandpas.

Nothing earth shattering has happened this week. Mostly I want to tell you about how crazy the rain storms are here. This week has been a little crazy. It has rained like nuts. Specifically, on Friday it was just insane. I don't really have a story, but more of a description of just what it was like. On Friday as we were walking home it started pouring. My new area is not flat. When it rains, it looks markedly like a water fall coming down the hill. (I mean essentially it was one) By the time we got to the bottom of the hill where we live, the rain was rising really fast. At intersections especially, it was like two rivers coming together. To give you an idea the water was well above my knees. It was scary for me, and I'm 6'4"! As we were walking, these old Malagasy ladies grabbed on to me for dear life. Usually that might be a little inappropriate, but given the circumstances I tried to help them along. Also the uncovered man holes, and just plain holes, that dot the city suddenly became more than just a nuisance. There was one hole that I almost stepped in that went down about 3 1/2 feet. On top of that there was about 2 feet of water rushing down the road. Thankfully a guy was standing there and told me about the hole. I was very grateful for that. All in all it has just been crazy. The saddest thing is that houses in the area collapsed. They're all built on the side of a hill. When it rains they just aren't stable. But the people are rebuilding and life goes on.

One of the coolest things about working in the office is that we get to associate with the senior couples and President and Sister Adams. They're really fun, and it's cool to see a new side of the office. Sister Adams is from Switzerland. She has determined that I am part Swiss because I look like Roger Federer (apparently-ha ha), and because I organized the Office Elder's desk when I got here. Apparently organization is a uniquely Swiss trait. I though it was very funny. She's similar to you, mom. It always makes me laugh. She is super duper clean. Anyway, I have a short thought for all of you. This one actually comes from Sister Adams. She used a story to illustrate a point. What is the difference between eagles and swine? They both take care of their young, they do their work, and do what is required of them. We see the difference when the work is done and the opportunity for free time arrives.Eagles soar high when all of their work is done. They climb to the reaches of heaven and warm their feathers in the gleaming streams of sunlight. When a swine's work is done, he rolls around in the mud and filth because that is where his heart is. I thought this was interesting when we think of the Book of Mormon, which says that we will be judged by our decisions. Outward actions are not the sole basis upon which we are to gain eternal life. This is the reason that no amount of church, temple attendance, family history. service to the poor, or serving a mission will ever save us. It doesn't really matter. It is the true expression of our desires upon which we conduct our lives that matters. At the end of the day when the work is done and all accounts are settled, the eagles soar because it is what their hearts desire. The swine will roll in the mud because it is where their desires lie.

I hope you are all doing well. Thank you for your continued love and support. That goes for everyone who keeps me in their heart and prayers while I'm soooo far away.

Shout out to St. Augustine.

Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment