Tuesday, March 3, 2015

(Note from mom: Alex's English is getting noticeably off. I am trying to maintain the integrity of his letters by only editing the more personal sections. However, I have made a few changes to words, spelling, or punctuation to keep it intelligible. He is only going to have six weeks from the time he gets back from Mada until he starts school at American University. I hope that's enough time for him to regain his language and spelling skills!)

Quite a bit has happened this week. First, I was pick pocketed. I have tried to be so careful. We were in a taxi be late one night and it was super crowded. I couldn't sit down, so it was hard to put my bag in a protected spot. They got my cell phone and some easily replaceable things. To prevent it from happening again I purchased two strong cords and tied my important items inside my bag, so that they'll be harder to take. I know it sounds silly, but you have no idea how hard it is to keep an eye on everyone. Everyone tries to steal from us. I don't want to say much more about it. I felt violated. It was kind of scary.

Today we are going down to Anala Kely, which is the really big market here. I have a bunch of pictures to upload and I'll snap more at the market. Just imagine Andrew Zimmern (note from mom: host of Bizarre Foods - he does a great episode from Mada), and then imagine that you are actually there. Speaking of Andrew Zimmern, I have an exciting food to add to the list of things I've tried here (this is for you dad), I had brain! Not a lot, but I did try it. Just for the record, cow brain tastes about like a barnyard. It does not come highly recommended - ha ha! Also, I saw someone selling chicken heads on the side of the street. I really want to try them, but courage and timing weren't in my favor last time I saw him. So I'm preparing myself mentally to return. Last time it was too late at night, which meant they would have gone cold. That is a very good way to take your life into your own hands, so next time I need to catch him right after they're cooked. They looked good though, with a little spicy sauce.

Okay, now the thing you've been waiting for... the terrible awfulness of the rain the last two days. Pretty much I can't describe to you hoooowwww bad it is, but I can tell you that things have just been collapsing everywhere. The roads are just a mess and collapsing everywhere. Thankfully, we don't go down into the interior of the city. Where we are the water never rises above about mid calf. But that does mean that we are walking through so much sewer water. Yes, I try not to think about it. But the reality is that when everyone essentially has port a potties, and everything floods, only one thing can really come out from it. The rice paddies are absolutely flooded and we're expecting more rain today.

A bunch of people that I was teaching in Toamasina just got baptized, which is super awesome. I'm so happy for them. I felt a little emotional this week because we had stake conference, and it looked real. I mean the building was weird and the sound system was awful, but 640 people walked through the rain and terrible roads so that they could come hear. I was so happy. This country is going to be such a center of strength for the church in Africa. Malagasies are amazing. I love my new companion, but my Malagasy trainee has such a special place in my heart. He's such a stud. Anyway, yesterday the choir was singing in French and Malagasy and it was so touching. I can't wait to see these people get a temple. It's still a ways away, but they deserve it big time! They're not ready, but soon. I love Madagascar and my mission. It's hard, way hard. But to quote Elder Gaul's last email, once it's over you're gonna want it back. I love the language and people. Someday I hope to go to the temple in Mada. Go to the temple - it's such a great blessing and I can't wait to go again. Also, try to help the missionaries. It's tough and we're certainly not perfect, but try and go out with them. Or, even better, invite them over to our house with someone.

Lover to All,
Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment