Monday, August 24, 2015

I had a couple of unique experiences this week. The first is more of a sad note. Frede is the man who handles everything in the office. His father passed away. It was expected but still sad. We went as an office to the wake. Each group that has any relationship to the family is required to send a party to give a little bit of money and give love, condolences, and respect to the deceased. At these events one person gives a speech in traditional Malagasy poetry, and I had the opportunity to give it for the group of all the office workers. I've been working a little bit on learning Malagasy poetry called kabary. Although I'm not good at it, it helps me to keep pushing my Malagasy to get better. Anyway, it was a special experience to be able to share condolences in a way that speaks to others. It's actually a poetic conversation between a representative from the family and from the delegation. It was hard, but it's encouraging me to work harder. Thankfully, I didn't break any taboos or make any bad mistakes, since that would have been very offensive given the circumstances. Frede, who is a wonderful guy, is doing well now, and he thanked me for giving the kabary.

Here's a brief excerpt from what I said. This is the main speech portion. There are other parts, but this is the main fankahaharesena (making strong or uplifting part). Also, as a side note, my Malagasy spelling is terrible, This translation isn't word for word but more the general ideas.

Tonga eto izahay, tsy hamendrofendro na hamoaka ny alahelo, fa tonga hitonddra ny teny
We have come, not to distract or expel your sadness, but we came to bring words of

fampiononona manatanteraka ny tenin'ny Tompo manao hoe: "Miaraha mifaly amini'izay mifaly, ary
comfort following the commandment of the Lord "be happpy with those that are happy and morn

miaraha mitomany amin'izay mitomany". Mafy tokoa izao fahoriana midona aminareo izao satria
with those that morn." This wake is difficult for because

folaka andry niankinana, toro vato fandiavana ny ankohonany ary potraka fefy mpanohan'drivotra.
this good son has passed on, a great stone in the household and a wall of support of the family.

ny fianakaviana. Efa nataonareo avokoa ny ala-nenina rehtr (raha nisy) mefa mahery fisintona ny
You have already put aside regrets, however, death is a difficult withdrawal.

fahafatesana, izao no lahatra, ka afaka ho aiza moa! Tsara zara ny fahafatesana ka samy manana iray
This is the final goal of all and thus free to go. Death is a good and necessary part that comes upon

avy.
us all

Okay, that's really rough, and I can't quite translate all of it. It's not really normal Malagasy, but yeah, it was really unique. I also gave a talk in church this week, which was really special! So, all in all another great week. I'm doing well, and I hope all of you are too. Also, a final note, there is a possibility that I won't be emailing on Monday next week because we have a Zone Conference with President Cook from the Africa Southeast Presidency.

Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment