Wednesday, March 9, 2016

February 8, 2016
It's been a long time here in Madagascar. Next week is the end of my first transfer here in Ft. Dauphin. I feel like I should be used to things by now, and I am to some extent, but I don't think you ever fully get used to anything. I hope you are all doing well.
I would like to quickly talk about an amazing person we're teaching right now. His name is V, I believe I mentioned him before. He is just the nicest guy I've ever met. When we first started teaching him, he informed us that his brother had joined the Church. He then asked 'why did my brother leave the faith of my family, what do you guys bring that is so unique, what's the importance and the unique reality of your message'. We told him that it was the Holy Ghost, and that his brother had developed a relationship with God. That's what made the difference. It's been really amazing to see him develop a deeper faith. He is struggling a little bit right now because he unexpectedly became the primary provider for his family. It's been really hard for him because he has had to work full time, that means he lives at his work and doesn't come home. We were only able to talk to him for 30 mins this week because we caught him for his one evening at home before he goes back to work. People in Madagascar are amazing and work so hard. It's remarkable. He is trying to figure out how to balance his life and keep growing spiritually, so please keep him in your prayers. I don't think I've ever taught someone who was so prepared to receive the missionaries. Anyway, we're trying to help him, but it's definitely a very personal quest. I'll let you know how he's doing.
Another couple that is ready to be baptized are waiting on marriage issues. It is pretty hard to get married here because you have to go back to your birth commune and get it directly from them. Out in the sticks, half the time the communes aren't even open for months at a time, etc. Just very slow and frustrating, especially for people who are ready but just waiting on that last step. It rained this week, which was nice. Both for the farmers who are in a terrible drought down here and also for missionaries who hate the heat - ha ha. Things are going very well, and we are very happy with the success that we are seeing. It's fun to work down here and I am very happy. I hope you are all happy too.
Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment