Tuesday, October 6, 2015

September 28, 2015

Well. I'm sure you feel this way too, but at the end of the week it's so hard to gather your thoughts. It's not that I don't have anything to say, but I am not good at just writing. Apparently, I'm very verbal. I guess that isn't actually a bad thing. In fact, I'm so verbal that I bought a dictaphone for my journal because writing in it was the worst thing ever. I hated it and couldn't express my feelings or thoughts very well.

I'll start today with one thing I think will make mom very happy. I think it's the answer to prayers (probably a lot of them offered by her - ha ha). There is a woman name Elaine down here. No, that's not a Malagasy name. She's actually from South Africa. Anyway, she isn't a member of the church. She and her husband live here because he works with US Aid. She's not an investigator, but she met the missionaries here a few years ago and she feeds us two to three times a week. Her son lives overseas and she misses him a lot. She hopes that feeding us will help bless him. She loves the missionaries and calls us her boys. She feeds us western meals. On Sunday we had BBQ and potato salad. She's such a blessing and so nice. She always says that she has to keep us fat! I thought you would all like to hear that reassuring news.

This week has been good being a counselor. It is still hard. It makes me feel very irresponsible and immature because I don't feel ready for all of it. Thankfully, I have the Lord and church handbooks. I've said it before, but people should read the handbooks. They are a blessing! We are making progress here, but the church is still really struggling. We are on the outskirts of the church as it were. The members are really sweet, though.

We have a baptism next week. It's a really sweet couple. I think I told you about them, and they're so happy. The Assistants are also down here visiting right now, so a lot is happening. I got my Halloween package. I feel like it got here really fast. I don't remember you mentioning that you sent one. Hey, one thing that I would appreciate for Christmas is seven pairs of socks. All of mine had tons of holes in them, and I was getting really bad blisters. I threw them all away and bought Malagasy socks, but Malagasy socks aren't very good and they're not big enough. So if you could send more socks it would be appreciated. Send dark athletic style socks instead of dress socks. Dress socks get holes in them too fast. (note from mom: I thought this request was too funny to leave out. Evidently Alex will be getting dark athletic socks for Christmas. The poor kid wears a size 14. I'm sure Malagasy socks are too small.)

I love all you very much and hope you have a good week. Tell dad to enjoy his trip to DC. Maybe he can stop by the Madagascar embassy and say salama inona vaovao for me!

Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment