Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Another week, another transfer. Things are moving along quickly here. Although this week is transfers, for me this doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm still working with Elder Stokes, I don't get transferred very often, but I like that it allows me to have closer relationships with the people in the areas I work. Regrettably, this week we didn't get to do a whole lot of work because we spent most of our time moving people to and from the different bus stations in Tana. The most exciting things here are the continuing political stuff, but I'll talk about that later.

The Clowards are leaving today. I already miss them. They're awesome. They've been the office couple the whole time I've been in country, and I've worked with them everyday in the office. The weirdest thing is that this means President and Sister Adams will be leaving soon too. Working in the office you get to learn the President and other couples are humans (as opposed to popular belief).

Today Elder Stokes and I are going down to Anala Kely the huge market to buy flip flops. Finally! Mine are broken and I've fixed them like 50 times, but I think they've passed the point of no return. After that I think we're going to go home and just have a calm p-day.

One general spiritual thought... one of the most amazing things about being a missionary in Madagascar is that we get to explain things in Malagasy. I think that because it's so hard sometimes, and you're forced to speak simply and clearly, that it allows the spirit a lot of opportunity to move on your thoughts. One of the most special feelings is explaining something to someone and then learning something new yourself! There have been times when words come to my mind that I don't remember ever hearing. Or explanations are so free and easy to put across. You receive just such a constant stream of blessings from being a missionary. It's a little bit weird. I can only describe it as a real and actual force; the power of God in our missionary work. It's not a passive force. It's active. Always, when you've been tracting and no one is letting you in, or you feel that you're at the end of your strength, that is when the Lord steps in. I think He pushes us because only then, in humility, can he lift us higher. Remember that pride is ultimately the only true sin, that is choosing one's own will over that of God's. I love Madagascar. Sometimes you have to choose to love it, but once you do the Lord will make things clear to you, which you were not worthy to receive before.

Lastly, the political intrigue here. I'll be brief because I obviously don't want to exaggerate or make you worry. But I also know you (mom) like to know. So the whole problem can be summarized this way: the President and the Parliament both have power to dissolve one another. Currently they're both trying to do that... at the same time... so you can assume that would lead to some problems. Now it all comes down to the Supreme Court to rule for one or the other. Pretty much whoever they're more afraid of, or who can offer the larger bribes. Everyone is expecting riots to break out. The question is just how big. Thankfully missionaries are really taken care of. We have a lot of friends in the government who let us know if anything is up so that everyone is safe. South Africa and Salt Lake are following it closely. There's always something crazy happening here! Anyway, have a great week.

Elder Ahlstrom

(Note from Mom: Alex sends emails to several of his friends each week. Occasionally they will forward excerpts to me. The following is from a letter that Alex sent to one of his friends from St. A's)
Okay, honestly right now I'm freaking freezing COLD! There are many causes of this. First, I haven't experienced winter for a year until right now. Also, our washing machine and dryer are broken so I washed my clothes by hand and am now letting my clothes air dry... on my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment