Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 18, 2016

There's a lot to talk about since we struggled to find a cyber last week. The internet was down all day, so when it finally came on I only had about 50 minutes on a French keyboard to do all my reports and emails. Now I have a little bit more time. I hope you're all doing well. Ft. Dauphin is very different, but I like it. It allows for more time to focus on normal missionary work. There is a lot to do. It's kind of a cultural requirement here that if someone knocks on your door, you have to let them in. Obviously missionaries love that - ha ha. The nice thing about it is that in most places the people who might actually be interested never get to talk to us because they don't want to let strangers in the door. That's why missionaries here always try to get in the door. Obviously, the person can then decide how to proceed. We teach a lot here. I would imagine it's one of the highest rates. It's very exciting to be able to work with so many people. Ft. Dauphin is also interesting because it is very stratified economically. A good portion of the people work for mines and are very well off because they make American level salaries. The other half are subsistence fisherman. Imagine Old Man and the Sea - that's pretty much what it's like. For instance, I believe I mentioned this last week, but last p-day we purchased lobster from a man who had just caught it while we were walking along the beach. It's amazing stuff like that. I have been eating a lot of fish. Things are really expensive here. It's ridiculous. And there's not a whole lot. It's going to be so weird to go back to the US and see so much variety. Here it's basically what you see is what you get. If you can't grow it or catch it locally, most likely you won't be eating it. There are a few things for foreigners but even those things are mostly for Chinese and Middle Easterners.

Elder Bassett and I are working hard and doing well. It was funny to see the pictures of the family, because his dad's company sponsors the concert where the pictures were taken. His dad works for Conoco Phillips, so Elder Bassett has been to that concert many times. Also, I just got my last Christmas package this week from the taxi be.

The last thing I want to do is share my favorite scripture with you. Hands down, no passage of holy writ brings more joy to my soul that this from 2 Nephi 4:28-30

28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.

30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

Now, I don't want to analyze it too much because it's a psalm and just like a song, you're not supposed to hyper analyze it. That just ruins it. Also, I think different things are highlighted when you read it at different times. That's why psalms are so amazing. They are just very unique in the way in which they speak to our heart. I would, however, like to make a few points about it that can help you start to ponder the scripture. I find that within this passage are some of the pearls of greatest price in the form of a command. 

"Awake my soul!" This is my favorite part. I feel like so often we allow our heart to sleep. We are so busy that we are actually in a deep sleep. The reality all around us is lost in the charade of busy we create for ourselves. What action comes following the command, awake my soul? I think it depends on the person and the moment. We should ask ourselves what does it mean for my soul to be awake?

As I said, I don't want to over analyze so the last part I'll share is the end. "Rejoice oh my heart and cry unto the Lord... I will praise thee forever... the rock of my salvation."

The Book of Mormon is amazing. We should all read it more often and savor it. I love to read it slowly. It is beautiful to me and I love the words of God. When I read the Book of Mormon I feel pure inspiration pouring into my heart. My mind is enlightened. That is the power of the Book of Mormon and I encourage everyone to drink deeply of its knowledge. It will fill your soul to overflowing. 

Elder Ahlstrom 

No comments:

Post a Comment