Wednesday, January 13, 2016

January 4, 2016

Happy New Year! I hope you're all doing well. I am a little tired but happy and healthy. A lot has happened this week. First, we had a happy and safe new years. Other than the fact that there was a street party that was blasting music in front of our house until 7 in the morning. I didn't sleep very well. I kept waking up at 3 and 4 in the morning and think, who could possibly still be dancing. I'm not totally convinced that everyone didn't just pass out and forget to turn off the music. How can you dance for 12 hours straight? As it is, I'm glad the holidays are over. It doesn't really feel like the holidays when it is hot everywhere. Also Malagasies party too hard - ha ha. Actually I'm just complaining a bit. I think it would be super fun to go out and party in the streets, but that isn't really for missionaries. It seems that some people had a bit too much fun judging by the taxi that nearly flew off the cliff that faces our house. Thankfully he ran into a house instead of going over the cliff, so everyone was safe. (Except for the taxi and the house.) 

The funniest thing we did this week was get special permission to watch cow wrestling. I'll send pictures when I can. Those guys are insane. Malagasy cows have really long horns. Thankfully no one got skewered, which is apparently pretty common. One person almost got trampled. Overall, it was a fun taste of something that only happens here in Fianarantsoa and the surrounding cities. Here it's very cultural, and it's fun to watch all the customs that surround it. 

This is actually the last time that I'll be writing you from Fianarantsoa. Next time I'll be in (drum roll please)... Ft. Dauphin, which is the southern most tip of Madagascar. I'm very excited because it's a coastal town. It's not a big city like Toamasina. I get to fly air Madagascar, so that will also be fun taking a little prop plane down south. I will be serving with Elder Basset. It's my understanding that he's actually from Houston. 

Other than that things are going well. I'm packing today. I'm sad to leave Fianarantsoa. I hate leaving areas. I can't believe I've been here for 4 1/2 months. It feels like a week. Of course I can't believe I've been in Madagascar 1 1/2 years. That also feels like a week. They're having 6 baptisms here the Saturday after I leave - two families and a young man. It was amazing to work with so many wonderful people. I miss them already. They're very excited. The branches here are also doing a lot better which makes me happy. 

Elder Ahlstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment